I'm trying to console myself that at least the books aren't fiction. You see, when I was a teen, my dad told me fiction is a waste of money: "You should buy informative books, books which you will reference over and over again. Novels and storybooks just sit on the shelf after you've read them."
What did I get, you ask?
- Crafting novels & short stories: The complete guide to writing great fiction
- Beaded jewellery: Step-by-step techniques and projects to create your own style
- The brushstroke handbook: The ultimate guide to decorative painting brushstrokes
Nothing like an excerpt to help demonstrate the allure of a book. So here, I give you something from book #1 in the list above:
- He was tall, 6 foot 2, with a nose to match, tall, thin, and straight.
- He caught sight of his 6-foot-2 reflection in the window of a bagel shop, paused and studied his thin, straight nose, both in profile and straight on. Straight on, he decided, always show your nose to her straight on. Never from the side.