Monday, February 17, 2014

Leaving out the essentials

Someone posted this video of Sean Lowe, last year's Bachelor, talking about his faith and his experience on the reality tv show. I haven't had a tv in more than 5 years, so I haven't been following what's going on and was surprised The Bachelor and The Bachelorette are still going strong. I thought they'd have died out by now. Those two shows have hardly produced any long-lasting, happy couples.

Anyway, it's an interesting video -- I'm not going to embed it here, but you can click the link if you want to see it. Lowe talks about how he felt conflicted dating 25 girls at one time, worrying it might damage his Christian testimony to be seen kissing so many different girls. (Easy answer: don't kiss them lah!)

He was talking about how the girl he chose (whom he married last month) is his best friend. But he never said that they shared the same values or the same faith, so now I'm wondering... because, if I were talking about my faith, and about finding a life partner, that's one of the top things I'd be mentioning. It's so crucial to me, because my faith means that much to me, God means that much to me, that it's extremely hard to for someone who doesn't share my faith to understand where I'm coming from, or to even comprehend the first thing about who I am.

So essentially, the video is a nice sound bite but it failed to address the true issue, that of the Christian concept of marriage and family. It talks about his faith, it talks about "falling in love", it talks about God opening the door and giving him the opportunity to appear on the tv show, it talks about finding a woman who is his "best friend", but it doesn't talk about the important things: does she have the same values, does she love God, will she encourage him to be the man God created him to be, will she walk alongside him as he journeys with God? How did he choose her, apart from knowing she's his "best friend"? How does he know it will last?

So many unanswered questions...
 
 
UPDATE: I saw news that she accepted Christ last year and was baptised in December. That answers some of my questions, but not all...

No comments: