Monday, December 3, 2018

Experiment 11: Nail polish colours

My UV lamp arrived! Finally! It is a 36W CFL lamp, with four U-shaped 9W tubes. I finally decided to get CFL because I think it provides better (more thorough) light coverage than most of the LED lamps I've seen. Also, the LED lamps tend to be a dome shape, which works for nails, but is not so ideal for silicone moulds (which are mostly rectangular or squarish).


So I had to test my UV lamp to make sure it was working. I got it on Shopee, and the way Shopee works is that they don't release payment to the seller until your items arrive and you have inspected them and deemed them to be in good condition. If they're defective, or if some of the items were not sent out together with the rest of the order (this has happened to me THREE TIMES now!!!), you can file for a refund.

I'd bought some nail polishes earlier from Sasa. At three bottles for RM10, they were pretty cheap and perfect for an experiment, as I didn't need a whole huge bottle. Plus, they are so cute!!


So I cured a clear layer of resin in one of my silicone moulds. It took just two minutes! Ah, bliss! And then I applied nail polish over the top of the hardened resin. Since it was an experiment, I just randomly dabbed the colours on any old how, without caring about how it looked. I did have to go over and put at least three coats to get the colours more opaque, because nail polish tends to spread pretty thin (we also usually apply at least two coats on the nail). Then I poured another clear layer of resin over it, and cured for three minutes.

OHMYGOD IT TURNED OUT SO PRETTY!!!!!!!! <3


The shimmer of the nail polish really made the piece 'pop', and the rich colours came out beautifully against the clear layer of resin. The resin cured without any problems and even somehow managed to clean out my mould of the nail polish that I had accidentally 'kena' the sides with when I was painting the surface of the piece. I don't know how that happened, but I'm not complaining!
 
 
 
NOTE: I would not mix nail polish into the resin. I'm afraid that the resin might not cure when the chemical properties of both items come into contact with each other. Also, pigment is known to block the UV light from penetrating the resin and that would prevent the resin from hardening.

No comments: