Friday, January 18, 2013

Adventures in being an aunt

At 5 weeks

Meet my brand-new nephew. Is that not the most adorable little face?

I've always thought babies are little miracles. When you come to think of it, each little one starts from a single cell that the naked eye cannot even see... how did that tiny being manage to form so perfectly with everything in the right place? Each time I look at a baby, I'm amazed all over again at what a marvel of engineering they are and am bowled over by the greatness of God. And wasn't He also so smart to make them so ridiculously CUTE?

Yesterday I babysat my little nephew for four hours while my bro and SIL went on a date. It was my first time caring for him solo with no back-up. He's only 12 weeks old, how hard can it be, right? He can't even turn over yet, let alone crawl, so he can't possibly get into mischief... it'll be a breeze, feed him, hold him, change his diaper, watch him fall asleep. Nothing to it!

...Riiiiiight.

Maybe I was just projecting, but the poor boy seemed unsettled by the new environment and absence of both parents. He rubbed his face in my T-shirt several times and started fussing, as if to say, "Hey, you smell different! You're not my mummy!" He was wet, so I changed his diaper, and then couldn't figure out how to fasten the new one. I was aghast. "Good grief, how hard can it be? This isn't rocket science!" I told myself, but in the end only managed to fasten one side. Defeated by a diaper! Never thought I'd see the day!

Of course, it didn't help matters that he was making protesting noises all through the process. "I'm sorry, I know this is so undignified, but it has to be done, okay? I'm getting you all nice and clean. Hang in there," I told him as I wiped him down, holding his legs up to get to his bum. As he continued to protest, and I fiddled with the diaper, I was like, "Shhh, shhh, almost there. Sorry, your aunt's not an expert, have patience with me, okay?"

I fed him and he fell asleep on me (finally! lol) and I was hoping he'd sleep for awhile, but in half-an-hour he woke again and was fussing, so I started singing to him, dredging up all the old Sunway School songs from memory. That seemed to calm him down :)  When I ran out of songs, I started quoting Scripture to him ROFL. It's amazing when you tell a baby that he's fearfully and wonderfully made, and that God knit him together in his mother's womb; it really brings things home the truth of the words and causes you to marvel at what God has done. Like, wow, how awesome is God and how precious is this little one!

From that we segued on into prayer (how could we not?) and then it was time for another feeding, and diaper change -- this time I managed to fasten both sides, woohoo! Progress! Today my arm muscles are aching from all the cuddling and carrying, but my heart is full ♥

No comments: