- You can get Irfanview to save your image to a certain file size while retaining the dimensions of the picture.
- Google does really have the answer to everything. I found the above by googling... because Blogger's help FAQ said the background image should be less than 250KB in size.
- Free image hosting sites like Flickr, Photobucket and Picasa always resize your file upon upload to a common or convenient size... my 1800 x 1354 file became 1024 x 770 in Flickr, 1024 x 768 in Photobucket and 800 x 602 in Picasa. Bah!
- All things being equal (or nearly equal), people will generally go with the service they're most familiar with. In my case, this is Flickr. I'm sorry, Google, but Picasa is just somehow clunky and unfriendly to me.
- There are no nice free sunflower templates for Blogger anywhere on the Web... or if there are, Google can't find them :p
I'm reminded why I hardly ever change blog templates. *grimace*